Sunday 14 February 2010

OUGD102 Self Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I have tried alot of new things in this module but I have also learnt how to manage my time effectively and also how to work well in a group. New methods which I have tried this module have included graffitti and stop motion animation. I have really enjoyed all of the new methods I have tried an think that the time management skills I have developed will help me throughout my course and in my future career. Time management was a point which was frequently at the front of my mind as the last few weeks were so filled with work I really had to think about what to do when to be as effective and productive as possible.

What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I have used alot of primary research in this module and feel I have developed this quite well. Questionnaries have been my main use of primary research and has helped me with my design development quite a bit. The questionnaire I created for the "What If..." brief was very informative and helped my group understand the extent of the problem of homelessness.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
Colour theory has come into play in this module, especially in the "What If..." brief where my group thought about the colours of our graffiti information graphics in order to aid our communication. This is also prominent in the Photoshop brief where I cropped into images so that the object itself is unidentifiable and colour really becomes the subject. I hope to develop and carry on using these skills I have learnt in the next module.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I feel my blogs have suffered in this module and I have got more used to commenting on my work throughout my sketchbooks rather than posting my work. This may be sue to the majority of my work this module has not been primarily computer based but has seen more of a hands on practical approach. In the "Collection 100" brief where I made my stop motion animation, I had to produce 1000 frames, all of which had to be photographed and different. I quite enjoyed the attention to detail and the new skill I learnt. Also during this "Collection 100" brief I concentrated on the product, until the last week where I really thought about the packaging. I think I need to work on some of my priorities and if things have the same weighting, I should spend equal time on both.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  1. Who I am aiming my piece at is something I think I can work on and get better at.
  2. Look thoroughly into my research as this can really help the design decisions I make.
  3. Think about the stock when printing.
  4. Blog more!
  5. Stick to an idea and develop it more, rather than changing my initial brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment