Wednesday 19 May 2010

Speaking from experience (self evaluation)

What problem did you identify?
Over the last year I have learnt alot and had a large selection of topics I could address, however I choose to inform the new first year Graphic Design students of 'the unwritten rules'. These are things which the new students will learn for themselves but this humorous 'heads up' should forma  bit of an ice breaker for them.

What evidence did you find to support your decisions?
I knew that I did not know these unwritten rules before I came and there is no way that the new first years will expect some of the things which are include in the list of rules. I also asked around the class and on Facebook and Moodle about what funny unwritten rules they have learnt since being here on the course... about the tutors/studio and course itself.

Grab of Facebook group use for collecting primary qualitative information on what students think the unwritten rules of Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art are. 

















What methods did you use to gather your evidence and what forms did it take?
I mostly used primary research and asked people directly. I collected both qualitative and quantitative data this way. I received some primary quantitative data from the students on the Foundation course at Vernon Street as these are people who are looking into going onto degree level art and design. I found out how they were feeling about going to a university and what areas of design they are most interested in. I then asked current students on my course what they thought the unwritten rules were... I added quite a few of my own but this formed the basis of my primary qualitative research. Once I had collected this primary data I could look into some secondary research. I looked into design styles and researched quite alot into illustrative type as from my primary quantitative data I had found out that the Foundation students liked illustration, however I wanted to show off the area of study I wish to develop further next year which is type. Illustrative type seemed to be the best of both worlds.

Sex issue typeface for Wallpaper, Malika Favre.





















What methods of research did you find useful and why?
I found all of my methods of research useful and believe they all helped with different aspects of my project. I think my qualitative research collected from the Foundation students would have been more helpful if the questionnaire had been filled out by a larger sample. The research collected form my peers on the unwritten rules was invaluable and really made the project come to life, without this input and research my project would have been more applicable just to me as it would have only been the things which I remembered and found funny, but everybody is different and I think that from all the rules collected, the 10 used in the project and diverse and funny for different reasons to different people. Hopefully this should attract a larger audience that if I just wrote down the rules which I found humorous.

How did these inform your response to your problem?
My methods of research informed everything of my process in this brief. One batch of research lead the way for my next collection of data. For example... my secondary research help me greatly with me design ideas. Each of my 10 products have a different type or style to them and this has all come about through my research into how to effectively portray that particular rule. Typeface is massively important and I hope that I have used them effectively in this piece of work. I have learnt how important research is... there is no point in making or designing something if there is no need for it or it will not work.

Selected page from Never Use White Type on a Black Background and 50 other Ridiculous Design Rules. Used as part of my secondary qualitative research.













What research could you have carried out that would have proved more useful?
It may have been quite useful and good use of my time if I had questioned current students and received some more primary quantitative data on where they normally look around college to identify other possible locations for some of my products, or maybe find out if they found them funny or informative.

Five things you have learnt about the design process over the last five weeks
  1. Time management is key.
  2. Do not be afriad of change... my idea progressed after I developed my idea further, I was worried I was going too far and I was giving myself too much work but it has definatley paid off when I think about what I was going to produce. 
  3. A range of products do not have to all look the same.
  4. I did not use a computer until the last 2 weeks of this brief... and loved it!
  5. I cannot describe anything... so mock-ups are brilliant! 
TIME MANAGEMENT SCAN

Five things you would do differently next time
  1. Develop a clearer brand for all my pieces.
  2. Experiment with colour a little bit more.
  3. Expand upon my ideas sooner on in the design process and push them even further.
  4. Have a back up plan if I cannot print on the stock that I want to! I could not print on transparent stock or anything larger than A3... even though I booked a print slot in the digital dungeon. Luckily my head was working and I could think of alternative solutions to my issues. 
  5. FInd out some more Design Context stuff on humorous rules and how to design for a funny but informative message. 
Rule #01 Fred time. 


Rule #02 There is never enough print credit.


Rule #03 Never pull a face at Amber.


Rule #04 A break is not a holiday. 

Rule #06 Posters don't always work. 

Rule #08 9:30 means 9:15.


Rule #10 Green and orange make Amber see red.

No comments:

Post a Comment